This is part 2 of a General Assembly(GA) meeting of the people (occupiers) held in Raleigh in front of the state Capitol building on October 15, 2001. The facilitator is Daniel Buck from Apex, NC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ioam-WeenaA).
The first part of this video covers the agenda for the GA meeting.
- North Carolina State University faculty (see part 3).
- Petitions and Flyer handouts
- Permanent Occupy Raleigh phone on site
- Formalize Working Groups in all General Assemblies
- One central notebook to organize all committees
After the agenda was approved, the Committee Reportback from their Legal Committee outlined their plans.
- The legal counsel is currently negotiating with city officials. They are hoping that the ultimate results of these negotiations will be better than what is being asked for.
- Negotiations with state officials may require some political muscle. They are developing an argument with legal precedent to apply for a permit to use the Capitol grounds. If this does not work, they will apply political pressure. Members were urged to contact sympathetic politicians to advance their requests.
- Options in play for staying at the Capitol:
- Use Capitol grounds as a campsite
- Compromise until the state can become comfortable with the occupation. Then ask for more.
- The most simplistic is to continue to use the sidewalk and the Capitol Plaza on the south side of the Capitol
Additional options include applying for two permits per day for short periods (two hours). The first would be at noon with daily speakers from the Universities who will give lectures relevant to the occupation.
A plan to set up a small tent could be used as a legal precedent. I suspect this means squatter rights or the ability to then add more tents if they set up one tent.
The second permit would be at 6:30 PM to allow more space for General Assembly meetings.
These permits would go for a week to establish a better working relationship with the State. These plans would still be concurrent with occupying the sidewalk.
A report on the people who were arrested was given. These people are their “champions” but they are prohibited from Capitol grounds for any future events until charges are dismissed or a judge grants them access.
What color is your America? Red, White and Blue is turning Red.