The Deep State’s worst nightmare was never that Donald Trump would improve relations with Russia. What keeps it awake, shaking and screaming in the darkness, is the prospect of exposure and prosecution for decades of criminality. For the first time since John F. Kennedy, the Deep State is being challenged. An inflection point may have been reached. If so, legal developments will take on a life of their own, ultimately beyond the control of congressional committees, Sessions, Trump, or anyone else.
Trump has expressed skepticism about US military interventions, NATO’s usefulness and funding, and the US’s hostile posture towards Russia. However, he says and tweets a lot of things, most of which are best ignored.
Instead, look at what he’s done, which should never be ignored. He has:
1. Significantly increased the already bloated military and intelligence budgets
2. Increased troop levels in Afghanistan, Syria, and Iraq
3. Increased US special forces operations around the world, especially in Africa
4. Given US military field commanders more latitude to conduct operations
5. Encouraged NATO forces to increase strength and display force around Russia’s western perimeter