There has been a lot of concern about the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) since the so-called Inflation Reduction Act authorized the hiring of 87,000 new agents. Why does the IRS need so many agents? What are they going to be used for? Why must they be armed and willing to use deadly force?
That last one is no joke. The IRS has been looking to hire new Criminal Investigation Special Agents, and the qualifications were right there on the job listing as recently as last week [archived page].
- Adhere to the highest standards of conduct, especially in maintaining honesty and integrity.
- Work a minimum of 50 hours per week, which may include irregular hours, and be on-call 24/7, including holidays and weekends.
- Maintain a level of fitness necessary to effectively respond to life-threatening situations on the job.
- Carry a firearm and be willing to use deadly force, if necessary.
- Be willing and able to participate in arrests, execution of search warrants, and other dangerous assignments.